We needed some cheap and cheerful accommodation options for our time through Canada and America and Logan found the Wyndham Group. They have numerous accommodation options (in more than 80 countries apparently) at varying price levels and their lower end Super 8’s and Days Inn’s were going to do just the trick for us. We also signed up to their rewards program, aptly named, Wyndham Rewards, and immediately received discounts off bookings, started earning points towards free nights and all qualifying nights go towards increasing our member level and higher levels are entitled to more “perks”.
Generally we book a ‘2 x double beds’ or 2 x queen beds’ room and they usually have a pretty similar set up with just a slightly different layout. The rooms have good heating/cooling, tea/coffee makers and we also like to try to get a room with a mini refrigerator and microwave.Many towns have at least a couple of different property options so you can pick the level of amenities, comfort and price you wish and then the bigger cities have a pretty large selection. Some of the amenities we like are the free parking, free Wi-Fi (they state ‘high-speed’ but the strength can be a bit hit and miss sometimes) and free breakfast. This is great if we are just staying one night and getting straight back on the road in the morning, one thing we don’t have to worry about. Although the variety at breakfast is pretty much the same from property to property so a few stays in a short space of time can get boring.Generally the properties also have on-site ice machines, vending machines and coin operated laundry machines, great to get a load of never ending washing completed without huge expense. They also have swimming pools and some even have a hot tub. We mostly travelled during Autumn and into Winter so the pools were mostly closed for the season unless they were indoors.
Overall we have had pretty good rooms for what we need for a one or two night stay. You can sometimes get dated furnishings or some that could do with a little more maintenance and upkeep but so far, no beds bugs or anything too terrible that we have needed to leave immediately and find a new place to sleep.
So far we have stayed at –
- Super 8 by Wyndham Salmon Arm, BC – $104.21 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Golden, BC – $109.98 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Great Falls, MT – $96.89 NZD per night
- Baymont by Wyndham Keystone, SD – $90.62 NZD per night (Good end of season price for a room with large bed and a set of bunk beds, not too much was still open in the area but this was a big property with indoor swimming pool and hot tub)
- Days Inn by Wyndham Salt Lake City South, UT – $92.29 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Wendover, UT – $98.16 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham South Lake Tahoe, CA – $114.54 NZD per night (Expensive for what it was in the off season, although Lake Tahoe is expensive. Their washing machine was broken, dryer didn’t dry clothes after two cycles and Wi-Fi was terrible, but they didn’t seem to care about any of it)
- Super 8 by Wyndham Springfield/Eugene, OR – $92.54 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Willows, CA – $117.90 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Vallejo/Napa Valley, CA – $156.28 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Santa Cruz/Beach Boardwalk East, CA – $118.45 NZD per night
- Days Inn by Wyndham Santa Maria, CA – $117.77 NZD per night (This was by far the smallest room we had with the Wyndham properties, it was very cramped and the bathroom so tiny)
- Super 8 by Wyndham Hollywood/LA Area, CA – $149.72 NZD per night (Crazy what you have to pay for a room in a seedy part of town, the room itself was quite clean but the surrounding streets made was feel pretty dirty)
- Super 8 by Wyndham Anaheim/Disneyland Drive, CA – $157.87 NZD per night (One of the biggest rooms we have had at a Wyndham property booking the same style of room, even had a small couch and sitting area. Outdoor pool and hot tub were still operational in mid-November)
- Days Inn by Wyndham Benson, AZ – $90.59 NZD per night
- Days Inn by Wyndham Blythe, CA – $89.29 NZD per night
- Travelodge by Wyndham Barstow, CA – $103.39 NZD per night
- Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham, Gallup, NM – $83.19 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham San Angelo, TX – $80.20 NZD per night
- Super 8 by Wyndham Universal City, TX – $82.47 NZD per night